Summer is near! While you are enjoying the sunshine, having an air conditioner is a great way to ensure your home stays cool and comfortable on even the hottest days. However, if your air conditioner is not properly cared for, they can breakdown when you least expect it – leaving you sweating in the summer heat.
Below are five ways to extend the life of your air conditioner:
- Change filters regularly. When is the last time you checked your air conditioner filter? When filled with dust and debris, the filter causes your air conditioner to work harder than necessary to keep your home cool, which could result in higher energy bills. We recommend checking and replacing your filter once a month to ensure your ac unit is functioning correctly. If you need to replace, you can typically find filters at your local grocery store, and they only take a few minutes to swap out.
- Keep the area around the unit clean. Even though air conditioner units are built to withstand the elements of the outdoors, it is essential to keep the area around the unit clean to provide proper air circulation. Periodically check and remove any accumulation of leaves or weeds. If you have shrubs or bushes, cut them down to avoid any unnecessary overheating with your unit.
- Use a smart or programmable thermostat. With the advancements in technology, smart thermostats allow you to program and control your air conditioner from anywhere. They also have an “auto” or “energy savings” setting that allows the unit to run when necessary. By being able to micromanage your air conditioner, you can turn it off when you are away from home, or set it to run as needed to ensure it’s not working harder than it needs to be.
- Avoid heat-producing activities or move them outside. When you are trying to cook on the stove, wash dishes, or use the clothes dryer on a hot summer day, you are building up heat in your home. This causes your air conditioner to work harder to keep your home feeling cool. When possible, try to take your indoor activities outside, or wait until the sun goes down.
- Schedule preventative maintenance. Scheduling preventative maintenance with an HVAC professional is one of the best ways to extend the life of your air conditioner. An annual tune-up will check for any operating problems, replace filters, inspect your ductwork, check for lubrication and ensure your refrigerant levels are where they need to be.
For more information on how to extend the life of your air conditioner, or if you need to schedule maintenance, please contact us today!