As the temperature rises, take a few proactive measures to beat the heat, keep your home cool, and save energy this summer. Whether you rent or own, these five ways will help ensure your air conditioning bill won’t skyrocket.
- Lower the temperature. Do you spend more time outside during the summer? Is this the time for your much-needed vacation? Believe it or not, by lowering the temperature when you aren’t home, or during the night, when you are all covered up, you can maximize your energy savings. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, for every eight hours you lower your home temperature by 1 degree, you can save up to 1% on your energy bill.
- Clean and possibly replace filters. When full of dust and debris, uncleaned air conditioner filters can break down your air conditioning unit. Even if you think it’s clean, we recommend replacing your filters once a month to ensure your system isn’t using more energy than necessary. More energy = higher energy bills.
- Close curtain, blinds, and shades. When the temperature rises outside, close your curtain, blinds, and shades to block the heat from radiating inside. The lighter your curtain, blinds or shades are in color; the more effective they are at deflecting the sun’s heat.
- Take indoor activities outside.During the warmer months, try to avoid indoor activities that generate additional heat such as cooking on the stove or in the oven, washing dishes, or running the clothes dryer. When possible, move your indoor activities outside by cooking on the grill or over the fire, hanging your clothes out on the line and washing dishes by hand.
- Use fans throughout your house. Did you know fans use significantly less energy than an ac unit? Although ceiling and floor fans will not make the temperature in your home cooler, they can help circulate cooled air more efficiently. Since fans help your home feel more comfortable, you can turn up your ac thermostat a few degrees without worry.
To learn more about how to reduce your AC bill or to schedule routine maintenance, please contact BluFlame at (419) 472-2040.
- 5 Ways to Extend the Life of Your Air Conditioner
- Cleaning Your Air Conditioner – DIY vs Professional
- Top Benefits of Springtime Air Conditioning Maintenance
- Seasonal Tips for Fall and Winter to Save Money & Energy
- Keep Your Air Conditioning Functioning Smooth with These Tips
- The Changing of Seasons & R-22 Prices
- Central Air Conditioning in Your Home
- Yea! Summer!
- You, Your Home and Your Pigs…
- What Should I Do With My Air Conditioning Unit Over The Winter?