Did you know your air conditioner needs regular maintenance and repair to stay energy efficient and to avoid more extensive mechanical maintenance in the future? During the winter, your ac unit will accumulate dust and debris which can cause your airflow to be obstructed, and the overall efficiency to reduce. These issues may seem small, but over time they can produce more significant costly problems leaving you sweating for last minute service during the summer heat. Below we have identified some DIY cleaning tactics as well as what you can expect from a professional.
DIY Approach to Air Conditioner Maintenance
Although we highly recommend you hire an experienced professional, here a few DIY tactics to cleaning your ac unit:
- Shut off the power. Whenever you are attempting DIY maintenance on your air conditioner, always remember to shut off the power before you begin. Look for an exterior shutoff box near the unit and also turn off the power within the indoor breaker box. After turning off the power, we recommend waiting a half hour before doing any maintenance.
- Change filters. Did you know you are supposed to change your air conditioner filters once a month? Like your furnace, your air conditioner filter can collect dust, and if left unchanged, it can restrict the airflow of your ac unit, circulate dust in your home, and some cases can lead to a system break down.
- Clean debris in and around the unit. Can you see leaves or debris inside your condenser, or even around the outside? If on the interior, remove the fan cage, fasteners, and lift the cage away from the top of the unit. By hand, or with a shop vac, remove all the leaves, twigs, and other debris. For the exterior, make sure there are at least 2-3 feet of clean area to ensure there is proper air flow around the unit.
- Turn your ac unit back on. Once you finish your DIY maintenance and the unit is completely dry, you can turn it back on.
We are not responsible for accidents when doing DIY air conditioner maintenance.
Professional Approach to Air Conditioner Maintenance
With the right care and proper maintenance from the experienced BluFlame team, you can avoid common issues and problems that leave you stuck in the heat during the summer months. When servicing your ac unit our might techs will:
- Clean and replace filters if necessary
- Remove any necessary dust and debris in or outside the system
- Inspect your ductwork
- Test your thermostat
- Check lubrication
- Clean the coils and clean if dirty
- Ensure your refrigerant levels are where they need to be
When in doubt, call a professional. We all know, do it yourself strategies can help, but they are not the same as the equipment and processes of an air conditioner service professional like BluFlame. To learn more about our air conditioner services or to schedule an ac unit clean and safety inspection, call BluFlame today at (419) 472 – 2040.
- 5 Ways to Extend the Life of Your Air Conditioner
- 5 Ways to Reduce Your AC Bill in Toledo
- Top Benefits of Springtime Air Conditioning Maintenance
- Seasonal Tips for Fall and Winter to Save Money & Energy
- Keep Your Air Conditioning Functioning Smooth with These Tips
- The Changing of Seasons & R-22 Prices
- Central Air Conditioning in Your Home
- Yea! Summer!
- You, Your Home and Your Pigs…
- What Should I Do With My Air Conditioning Unit Over The Winter?