You may not know it, but there are several different types of furnaces to help heat your home in the winter and cool it in the summer. With so many on the market, how are you supposed to choose? The team at Bluflame is here to make the process a little bit easier. Take a look at your options for a furnace and contact the Bluflame team to schedule an appointment.
6 Main Types of Furnaces
There are 6 main types of furnaces: gas, oil, electric, modulating, single-stage, and two-stage. Each one runs a bit differently with varying levels of efficiency.
- Gas Furnace
A natural gas furnace is the most common furnace in homes today. This type of furnace is generally very inexpensive to maintain because they don’t break down very often. If they do happen to break down and you need a furnace repair, the repairs are typically very inexpensive as well. Natural gas is also the least expensive fossil fuel making it a very cost-effective option.
A natural gas furnace is also incredibly efficient- it produces the most heat when it’s burned which means you will use less gas to heat your home!
- Oil Furnace
If you don’t have access to natural gas, an oil furnace may be a great option for you. Oil furnaces are not as efficient as gas furnaces. For example, according to AFUE ratings, gas furnaces are about 88%-98% efficient while oil furnaces are around 80%-90%. With an AFUE rating of 90%, 90% of the energy is being used for heating while the other 10% is lost. The higher the AFUE rating, the lower your fuel costs will be.
- Electric Furnace
Electric furnaces can be a great choice for many homeowners because they don’t require a gas line. They are generally fairly inexpensive to buy initially and are smaller than most other furnaces, so they can fit into tight spaces. Electric furnaces move air throughout your home through a series of 3 to 7 heated coils. While not as efficient as gas furnaces, they can be a good option depending on your area and budget.
- Modulating Furnace
While a bit more costly up front, a modulating furnace outputs heat more precisely. A modulating furnace adjust the amount of gas it burns to reach the temperature you have set. This type of furnace is highly accurate with a one-half degree margin of error compared to the typical four to six-degree margin of error. Modulating furnaces run at lower energy levels, making them a highly efficient option.
- Single-Stage Furnace
A single-stage furnace runs gas through one valve at a high rate, making it a less efficient option. Because this furnace runs only at a high rate, it can only be turned off or on- there are no low or high settings. The AFUE rating for a single-stage furnace is about 80%. If you live in a warmer area (not Ohio), this may be a good option for you!
- Two-Stage Furnace
There are more options with a two-stage furnace versus a one stage. With a two-stage furnace, you can choose between a high and low setting. It’s also more efficient, operating at about a 90% efficiency rate.
When shopping for new furnaces, it’s not a one size fits all process. The team at Bluflame is here to help you pick the right furnace for your specific needs! Whether you need a furnace repair or a completely new unit, we make the process simple. Give us a call at (419) 823-9342 to discuss your options!
- Furnace Busted, Right Before Winter? Here’s What You Can Do.
- Gas vs Electric Furnace
- 5 Ways to Prepare Your Furnace for Winter
- Bluflame’s FIVE Tips to Lower Heating Costs This Winter
- All You Need to Know About Furnace Maintenance
- Winter HVAC Maintenance
- Seasonal Tips for Fall and Winter to Save Money & Energy
- Why Fall is the Best Time to Schedule Furnace Maintenance
- How Often Should I Change My Filter?
- How Much Does a Variable Speed Motor Save?