Purchasing and installing a new a home heating system is a big investment, similar to investing in a new vehicle. Since you will be living with your decision or at least 10-15 years, it is important that you choose a unit that fits your needs and budget.
Here are some things you should keep in mind when choosing a new home heating system:
- Upfront Investment
Although you may have your eyes set on a solar-zoned heating system, the initial cost may be out of your budget. Before you start shopping for a new heating system, set a price range that you are comfortable with first and try to stick with it.
- Unit Compatibility
When selecting a replacement heating system, it is important to find one that is compatible with your existing distribution system and home. Unless you are completely replacing the entire system, distribution system and all, this is definitely something you want to consider.
For instance, if you have a forced air system with attached ductwork, and you want to use the old ductwork, it is best to find a heating unit that is compatible with the duct system. If you are looking to install a ductless mini-split unit or radiant system, the distribution system will be a lot different. Speak with a professional about what systems are compatible with your home and what adjustments need to be made, if any.
- Professional Installation
You expect high efficiency and perfect performance when you get a new heating system. Unfortunately, even so-called professionals improperly install many HVAC systems. In fact, improper installation can reduce performance by as much as 30% so be sure to call Bluflame. Heating systems that are not sized and installed properly result in:
- Hot and cold spots (uneven heating)
- Higher energy bills
- Frequent cycling on and off
- Humidity and indoor air quality problems (declining comfort)
- Overworked, stressed systems
- More maintenance and repairs
- Gas vs Electric Furnace
- Should You Have Your Air Ducts Cleaned?
- 5 Ways to Prepare Your Furnace for Winter
- Why You Should Not Try DIY HVAC Repairs
- 4 External Factors Affecting the Lifespan of Your HVAC Unit
- Bluflame’s FIVE Tips to Lower Heating Costs This Winter
- Top Three Ways to Breathe Easier
- All You Need to Know About Furnace Maintenance
- Winter HVAC Maintenance
- Seasonal Tips for Fall and Winter to Save Money & Energy